It may be tough for us to tell with our beautiful Tampa Bay weather, but fall is here. Fall brings a lot of fun, including fall recipes. While you are staying in one of our luxury vacation homes, you may want to bring a little fall with you, but not spend hours in the kitchen making complicated dishes. Here are a few fall recipes that are easy to make and tasty to eat.
Pumpkin-Pecan Slab Pie
Pumpkin is a staple for fall dishes, but why not try adding a little southern flair?
- 2 Refrigerated pie crusts
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (note: do not use pumpkin pie mix)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- Cooking spray
Pecan Pie Filling
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Using a lightly floured surface, unroll and stack crusts one on top of the other. Form a 17×12 rectangle.
- Put the crust into an ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan. Press in the corners until even with the edge of the pan.
- Use a large bowl and mix the pumpkin pie filling ingredients with a whisk. When they are well blended, pour them evenly into the crust and bake for 25 to 28 minutes.
- While that bakes, use a medium bowl and your whisk to prepare the pecan pie filling. Mix all the ingredients, except the pecans, until well blended. Then stir in the pecans. Spoon it evenly over the pumpkin pie filling.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes until the crust is a deep golden brown and the center is set. Cool pan completely for about 1.5 hours. Refrigerate an hour before cutting. Note: You can prepare this the day before then cover and refrigerate overnight.
Apple Cinnamon Bread
Cinnamon is another one of those fall flavors that we love to taste and smell. Fall recipes using it will have your kitchen smell wonderful.
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of coarsely chopped pecans
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces (should yield 1 ¾ cups)
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; line the pan with parchment paper, leaving 1-2 inches to hang over the sides of the pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set it aside.
- Stir the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans together in another bowl. Use a fork to work 2 tablespoons of the softened butter into the brown sugar mixture. Stir the chopped apple into the mixture to combine and coat.
- Using a large bowl, beat the remaining ½ cup butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 4-5 minutes. Next, add the eggs and vanilla; mix until just combined. Mix in about half of the flour mixture. Mix in the sour cream, followed by the remaining flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Spoon a little more than half of the apple mixture over the batter, lightly pressing the apples in. Top the apples with the remaining batter. Spoon the remaining apple mixture over the top of the loaf, lightly pressing in.
- Bake at 350° for 55-57 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the loaf tests clean. Cool completely in the pan. To serve, lift the loaf from the pan using the parchment overhang and slice. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash Casserole
Easy-to-make fall recipes like this are a twist on sweet potato casserole.
- 1 can butternut squash purée
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cooking spray
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a large bowl to combine the butternut squash puree, eggs, brown sugar, heavy cream, melted butter, maple syrup, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Prepare a 13×9 baking dish by coating it with cooking spray. Spoon in the mixture and bake uncovered until set. Approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle on the marshmallows. Increase the oven to a high broil. Remove when marshmallows are browned, approximately 2-3 minutes. Serve hot.
For your cooking and baking supplies, you have options. We also partner with local companies to “Stock Your Refrigerator”. If you provide us with the list 7 days prior to arrival, we can “stock the fridge” prior to your arrival. Or, if you prefer to shop yourself, click here for information on Anna Maria Island grocery stores.
For more information about grocery shopping on Anna Maria Island or fall events, feel free to contact us and our local experts will help you out.
Holiday Ideas, Vacation Ideas
Celebrate Easter on Anna Maria Island
Protecting Yourself from the Sun
Tips, Vacation Homes, Vacation Ideas
Affordable Vacation Times on Anna Maria Island
Be the First to Know
Sign up for our Newsletter and be the first to know about our updates and promotions.
We’ll make sure your next vacation is relaxing and fun!